The current USAT & WTF competition rules will govern this championship. The tournament director may modify some rules according to the local conditions. They also reserve the right to combine or divide weight categories depending on the size of the group.
There is absolutely no head contact for competitors Age 7 & Under (All Belts) and 11 & Under (Color Belt Divisions)
|Age 11 & Under (All Color Belts) and 7 & Under (All Black Belts)||1 minute||2 Rounds||No head Contact|
Junior Safety Rules will be applied to 8 – 11 YEARS OLD BLACK BELT, 12 – 14 YEAR OLD BLACK BELT, 12 & OVER ALL COLOR BELT, and 33 & OVER BLACK BELT DIVISIONS. A head contact producing a minor injury (bruising, abrasion, or bleeding) will result in a one point deduction for the attacker. Excessive head contact resulting in the inability to continue will disqualify the attacker at the discretion of the referee.
|Age 8-14 (All Black Belts)||1 minute||2 Rounds||JSR|
|Age 12 and Over (All Color Belts)||1 minute||2 Rounds||JSR|
|Age 33 and Over (All Black Belts)||1 minute||2 Rounds||JSR|
World Class Division will be refereed by WTF International Referees. Full head contact is allowed for 15 ~32 YEAR OLD BLACK BELTS ONLY with three points being awarded for legal head contact or 4 point for any spinning techniquesJSR: No head kicks with any turning kicks (spin hook kicks, back kick, turning round house kick, etc.)
|Age 15-17 (All Black Belts)||90 second||3 Rounds||WTF (Full contact)|
|Age 18-32 (All Black Belts)||90 second||3 Rounds||WTF (Full contact)|
Safety EquipmentWeigh-ins: World class sparring divisions only. From 11:00-12:00 pm at the tournament site staging area. (Brackets will be posted on staging wall by 12:30 pm)
All contestants shall wear an approved trunk protector, head protector, groin guard, forearm protector, shin-instep protector, and a mouth protector. (Gloves are mandatory for the World Class Division; all other divisions are optional)
Jewelry is to be removed and finger/toenails are to be neatly trimmed.
- Legal Scoring Area
|Body||The blue or red colored area of the body protector|
|Head||The area above the collar bone (i.e. whole part of the head including both ears and the back of the head)|
- The valid points are divided as follows:
One (1) point for a valid attack on the trunk protector
Three (3) points for a valid turning kick to the trunk protector
Three (3) points for a valid kick to the head
Four (4) points for a valid turning kick to the head
One(1) point awarded for every two Kyung-gos or every one Gam-jeom given to the opposing contestant
Warnings (Kyong-go): Two Kyong-go shall be counted as a deduction of one  point. However, the odd Kyong-go shall not be counted in the grand total
- Crossing the Boundary Line
- Falling down
- Avoiding or delaying the match
- Grabbing, holding or pushing the opponent
- Lifting the knee to block or/and impede the opponent’s kicking attack, or lifting a leg for more than 3 seconds, without execution of any attacking technique, to impede opponent’s attacking movements
- Kicking below the waist
- Attacking the opponent after “Kal-yeo”
- Hitting the opponent’s head with the hand
- Butting or attacking with the knee
- Attacking the fallen opponent
- Misconduct of contestant or coach
Deduction (Gam-Jeom): A Gam-Jeom shall be counted as minus one  point.
- Not complying with the referee’s command or decision
- Inappropriate protesting or criticizing of officials’ decisions
- Inappropriate attempts to disturb or influence the outcome of the match
- Fleeing from the competition area to avoid normal technical exchange. If a contestant attempts to avoid a normal technical exchanges by behavior such as crossing the boundary line or intentionally falling down in repeated manner, the referee may give a Gam-jeom, after a Kyong-go
- Clear intentional punch to the opponent’s face
- Clear intentional attack the opponent after “kal-yeo”
- Clear intentional attack to a fallen opponent
- Clear intentional attack below the waist
- Provoking or insulting the opposing contestant or coach
- Only accredited team doctor/physician are allowed to be seated in the doctor’s position. Unaccredited doctor/physicians or other team officials found to be seated in the doctors position shall be ordered to leave the FOP, and the athlete shall be penalized with a “Gam-jeom”
- Any other severe misconduct or unsportsmanlike conduct from a contestant or coach
- In the event the winner cannot be decided after 2 or 3 rounds, a 3rd or 4th round will be conducted.
- In the event that a contest advances to a 3rd or 4th round, all scores awarded during the first two (2) or three (3) rounds shall be void.
- The first contestant to score a point or whose opponent receives two kyong-gos or one gam-jeom in the extra round shall be declared the winner.
- Total of 5 Points Deductions (10 warnings)
- Competitor or coach intentionally disobeys the referee, the competition rules, displays unsportsmanlike Conduct, or does not show up in time for the match
- Heavy contact to the head with the hand or foot that results in an injury, or injuring any opponent and rendering him or her unable to continue. (Junior Safety Rules)
- Foul (Profanity) language by coach/player/ parent; bad conduct/behavior; verbal abuse
Weigh-ins: World class sparring divisions only. From 11:30-12:30 pm at the tournament site staging area. (Brackets will be posted on staging wall by 12:30 pm)
Note: Weight Division: Please see Sparring division page attached
Awards: 1st, 2nd, and two 3rd place winners in each division will be awarded medals, presented in the ring immediately following that division’s final match.
- All World class division: all winners will get a medal after game over.
- All 11 years old and under will get medals.
Coach’s Dress code: Coaches are prohibited from wearing jeans, shorts, tank-tops, hat/cap, or slippers while on the arena floor or coaching a competitor. Please follow the official USAT dress code for more details.
NOTE: The tournament director may modify some rules according to the local conditions. They also reserve the right to combine or divide weight categories depending on the size of the group.